The 2021?EM Alumni Award, sponsored by the Entrepreneurial Musicianship and Alumni Engagement teams, provides funding and support for the aspiring projects of NEC alumni. Granted annually to NEC graduates, the award includes a $1,000 stipend, along with project consulting from the Entrepreneurial Musicianship team.
*NEW* ELIGIBILITY GUIDELINES FOR THE 2021?EM ALUMNI AWARD?
- Applicants must be graduates of New England Conservatory
- There is no restriction on graduation year eligibility
- Applicants may request funding up to $1,000
- Previous winners of the EM Alumni Award are ineligible for 2 years following their last award
Written applications will be reviewed by a panel of NEC Faculty, Staff, and industry professionals, and evaluated based on the following criteria:
- A clear explanation of what the project/experience/initiative is and how it is entrepreneurial
- A clear statement of the project’s value (its intended benefit to others)
- The viability of the project budget, with preference given to applications that demonstrate more than one source of funding (e.g. ticket revenue, donations, other grants etc.).
- Here is the EM?Budget Template
- Insight into the future sustainability of the project
- A clear explanation of why this funding is critical for your work and career
EM ALUMNI AWARD IS AWARDED VIA 2 STIPENDS:
Stipend #1: ?50% of funding awarded after you sign Grant Agreement Letter
- Stipend #2: ?50% of funding awarded upon your project’s completion and submission of all post-project Documentation Requirements (written summary report, photos/videos, and estimated/actual budget).
- The grants/stipends are considered prizes for IRS reporting purposes. ?Individual recipients of prize money will be responsible for the tax implications of their winnings.
- Note that prize payments are treated as income by NEC and the IRS, regardless of whether the payment is made to an individual or company. ?Non-U.S. citizens are taxed on their prize money up front at a rate of 30%, which is withheld from their prize checks.
- For grant projects with multiple team members, grant stipends will be awarded to the primary applicant listed on the grant application, who will be responsible for distributing the funding as allocated in the grant application.
- For grants awarded to 501(c)3 organizations (only available for Grow Your Art and EM Alumni Award), the following information must be provided within the appropriate fields of the grant application in order for the grant to be paid to an organization rather than an individual: Organization Name, Tax ID, completed Questionnaire, and W9.